Wednesday 1 December 2010

Anesthesiology Personal Statement 2

Jamaica conjures up images of a far-away exotic locale, where the people are warm and friendly and make visitors feel at home. It is also the place where I was born, and where my love for working with people developed. Since most of the employment there is related to tourism, like many of my friends I worked in the airline industry after graduating from high school. This satisfied my curiosity about what was beyond my country's boundaries, but as exciting as travelling and experiencing other cultures were, returning home carried the predictable need for something more. So, full of ambition and with the encouragement of family and friends, I decided that going to college was the route to take, but in America.
The two years when I studied chemistry at St. Thomas of Vollanova University in Miami, Florida, where challenging, difficult and rewarding. Because there were many other students from foreign countries at St. Thomas, the transition to the American educational system and culture was smooth and enjoyable. Participating in the International Students' Organization and in student government were my special extracurricular projects. Though little time was left for much else, there were moments when I longed to be back home I especially missed playing darts which my family did as a team, setting new records by claiming champi9onship trophies for three straight seasons. As a sophomore I decided that I wanted to attend a more prestigious and affordable institution. UCLA seemed the most attractive, so I transferred to begin my junior year in the Fall of 1985.
At UCLA I reconsidered my narrow focus on chemistry and decided to switch majors to psychobiology, which introduced me to the fascinating interplay between physiology and pharmacology. As I progressed through the major I was constantly aware of the link between emotional well-being and positive outcomes.
My motivation to study medicine came from my extracurricular activities. My first practical experience volunteering at the Venice Family Clinic with children from refugee families provided excellent opportunities for patient contact. The clinic's meager resources called for an approach which stressed counseling, and I witnessed the good results which came from gaining patients' trust and treating them with respect and genuine concern. At the Reed Neurological Research Center's outpatient clinic, where I worked part-time, I had the opportunity to work with physicians involved with patient care. It was clear that compassion was an important element in physician's success with their patients. Another special project during this time involved Big Brother of Los Angeles. This organization matches boys from fatherless homes with selected volunteers. Over the years it has been a joy to recall the times when my Little Brother was shy and withdrawn with little self-esteem and seem him today as a well-adjusted and optimistic adolescent.
Medical School has been a learning experience like no other. Without a doubt I feel that I have gained the most and have been most comfortable, in the clinical setting. It was during my research experiences in the Departments of Neurology and anesthesiology that I was influenced by my mentors, Dr. Ernestina Saxton and Dr. Corrie Anderson, towards a career in academic Medicine. Not only did I learn much from their strong commitment to both patients and students, I also became intrigued with the relationship between research and clinical medicine.
As the end of third year rolled around, if you had asked me what I wanted to do after Medical School, the list of possibilities would have been impossible. I would have told you that I loved working with my hands, thrived on personal contact with patients and was sure that somewhere down the line I would be involved in teaching. Of course just about any field in Medicine would seem to be perfect, but after completing an Anesthesia elective, I knew that this was the specialty for me.
From pre-operative rounds, to the scurry of activity at induction ending in a smooth recovery, I have felt only fascination for the meld of cognitive abilities and technical skill that administering anesthesia demands. In many ways the process generated a similar excitement and anticipation that some of my hobbies like mountain biking or downhill skiing did. Moreover, the reward at the end was a gratifying sense of completion, a feeling that is rare in many other specialties. I have come to realize that the more I participate in the process, the more satisfaction I derive, and this influences my choice of residency programs. I will be happiest in a program which promotes development of skill in every area of Anesthesia, and also balances the practical experience with a strong didactic program in a close-knit and friendly environment. Don't copy exact things but write in your own way.

7 comments:

  1. Creating a personal statement can be an incredibly important task. In many cases it can hurt you much more than it can help you. There have been a lot of debate surrounding the importance of personal statements, because they often are a much larger potential detriment than a potential advantage. personal statement writing service

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I like about this personal statement is that it shows off your strengths and doesn't focus too much on your weaknesses. I think it is important to be confident in yourself. This anesthesiology personal statement was pretty helpful as well. I have come to realize that the more I participate in the process, the more satisfaction I derive, and this influences my choice of residency programs. - My favourite part of this personal statement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Developing a individual declaration is definitely an extremely essential job. Oftentimes it may harm a person a lot more residency personal statement writers compared to it can benefit a person. There has been lots of discussion encircling the significance associated with individual claims, simply because they frequently really are a bigger possible detriment than the usual possible benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guys, I would like to agree that the topic about anesthesiologist personal statement is actual all the time. And if talking about me personally, I have found some very useful Services, which always help me with any kind of issues. And I am sure that each of us should do the same, because not everyone has skills good enough to make a perfect resume by himself. And it is quite normal to ask some professionals to help us with this problem. And later each of us will get experience in this area and maybe will be able to do it independently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear author, thank you so much for your useful information in this article, as I have found many interesting tips for me. Because when there is a task to write a anesthesiologist personal statement, it is not so easy to find some helpful tips which I have found here. And also I would like to add that in the second paragraph of your article you say about the sentences which begin from the word “that” and I also have met such ones earlier, but have never paid attention to them. So thank you very much for all your information once more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear author, I would like to thank you for this your article, because I found it really very important and helpful for me. And I would like to add that it is really important for me to anesthesia residency personal statement because if the specific of my work. And sometimes it is really difficult to find a help with this issue, because I do not have my skills strong enough to do it by myself. So I started to google about this issue and have found some useful web sites which help me a lot. And of course you can do the same anytime.

    ReplyDelete