Wednesday 1 December 2010

Orthopedics Personal Statement 1

In the summers of �95 and �96, I worked closely with a group of private practice orthopaedic surgeons in Nashville, Tennessee. Prior to my experience there, I knew that I wanted to be a physician but I had not decided what career path I would follow after medical school. I was unaware of the indelible influence those summers would have in guiding me through the following years.
The experience introduced me to the art of physical diagnosis as well as the conservative and surgical management of patients. The ability to diagnose patients� particular problems, educate them regarding mechanisms of injuries, discuss interventions and alternatives, and have the opportunity to correct pathology in the operating room was especially appealing to me.
While in medical school I continued to explore my interest in orthopaedics. In the summer of �97, I investigated the growth of pluripotential marrow stem cells on the bone graft substitute calcium sulfate hemihydrate. The project afforded me the opportunity to apply clinical questions at the basic science level. This fall I plan to return to the laboratory to study the influence of mechanical forces on gene expression in developing synovial joints.
During my third year, I served as a member of the Trauma-Hand orthopaedics team. The intricacies of hand and microvascular surgery were fascinating and challenging. The trauma service provided an opportunity to see a wide variety of orthopaedic cases where each one presented a puzzle with several solutions to achieve the correct �fix.� My experiences on the service further solidified my interest in the field of orthopaedic surgery.
Though there are no physicians in my family, my parents have played an important role in developing many of the attributes I believe are key to being the person, student, resident, and physician I strive to be. The importance of teamwork was taught to me at a young age when I first began competitive athletics. The value of hard work was instilled in me as well, and I worked at the local furniture factory while I was in high school. During that time, I also remained an active member of my community and high school where I served as President of the Student Body during my senior year. For three summers of my undergraduate years, I worked in the garage of a local tire store. I recognize that the team concept, leadership, and hard work are the foundations for success in any endeavor. In addition, my parents taught me the value of teaching others by encouraging me to tutor family members who were having difficulty with school. While in high school I tutored many of my classmates and came to appreciate the rewards of sharing knowledge as well as how teaching was vital to my own learning process. In my Senior year at the University of Alabama, I was asked to be the teaching assistant for the Nursing Microbiology and Pathological Microbiology Laboratory courses. Teaching has provided me with the opportunity to both solidify and test the limits of my own knowledge while I strive to find the best way to present information to others in an meaningful way.
My experiences and background have prepared me well for a residency in orthopaedic surgery. I look forward to working with a team of orthopaedists who are excited and passionate about their work as well as educating others. I intend to remain involved with teaching others the art of orthopaedics when I finish my residency whether that be in academics or in the private sector.
, malt and hops), the variety of these ingredients available and the way one chooses ot process and incorporate them allows for unending possibilities. Furthermore, even though you may follow a recipe to the letter, there are always slight variations related to personal style or the particular surroundings (i.e., temperature, humidity, and indigenous strains of yeast that vary from place to place) that will assure a unique product every time. Since I began brewing, I have received great satisfaction in sharing my beer with family and friends, exchanging my brew with other enthusiasts, and, of course, enjoying the fruits of my labor. Also, I have gained a new appreciation for the subtle flavors and colors present in beer and the techniques and ingredients needed to create them.
During my ophthalmology clerkship, I discovered that many of my interest came together in one specialty. In my first week alone, the variety of clinical challenges within the field was clear. I was involved in both the treatment of a child with strabismus and an elderly patient with closed-angle glaucoma who required emergent surgical intervention. In either case, knowing that in one instance we had prevented serious visual disease and in the next had preserved a patient's vision was a great feeling. In addition, using high technology equipment for both diagnosis and therapy was an exciting part of my experience.
My objective is to gain a position at an ophthalmology residency program that will give me the opportunity to practice in either the academic or private sector over the span of my career. Ophthalmology combines all of the elements of practicing medicine that I have enjoyed during my training including precision surgical procedures, interesting research opportunities, and the chance to work with a broad range of patients with acute and chronic disease. I am a mature, hard working individual who is eager to meet the demands of a dynamic, challenging and exciting career in ophthalmology.

3 comments:

  1. Strategies on how to write a medical school personal statement that will make you stand out from the crowded field of applicants and get you admitted to medical school. neurology residency personal statement

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, everybody! It is safe to say that you are experiencing considerable difficulties composing your orthopedic residency personal statement? All things considered, it is extremely hard in some cases yet it is conceivable to manage in the event that you have all the fundamental data by your hand. We have an incredible site where you will have the capacity to discover all the important data about medication and the medical statement composing. This topic is really absorbing and worthy, I would say. Our organization can assist you in writing. Is it true that you are charmed by our facility? At that point don't waver to check the site

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear author, thank you very much for such a helpful article. I have read it from the very beginning to the end and have found many useful tips for me. Earlier I have used only orthopedic personal statement and I would like to say, that it is also very helpful for me and I think that it can help to someone else as well, who did not know about such a service before. And in general it would be good to see more of the articles like this one, because it will really help to me in my work.

    ReplyDelete