Wednesday 1 December 2010

Radiology Personal Statement 1

I was led into medicine by a desire to positively impact people’s lives. As I progressed through my clinical rotations, I searched for the field that would satisfy this desire while also stimulating and challenging me. For me, this field is radiology. During my third year of medical school I have seen the importance of correct radiological diagnosis. Whether an obscure disease that was a diagnostic dilemma to clinicians or an incidental finding on a routine study, an astute radiologist is critical to optimal patient care, as successful outcomes begin with a correct diagnosis. I am excited by the chance to gain the professional expertise that will enable me to work alongside clinicians in order to achieve positive patient outcomes.

I have witnessed and have been impressed by the work of many outstanding radiologists. From them, I have learned that having a preconceived notion of what to expect and looking for the obvious, while overlooking other critical findings won’t resolve difficult cases. I am highly motivated by the satisfaction of being the person who makes difficult diagnoses and therefore makes a positive difference in patient care.
During medical school, many cases influenced my decision to pursue radiology. Many cases touched me. One in particular occurred early in my third year of medical school. At this time, I had the opportunity to work with an unfortunate five-year-old boy named Victor. In his five years, he experienced many hardships. He came from a broken home, was one of six children and had recently lost his mother to AIDS. He presented to Children’s hospital after multiple admissions elsewhere, with failure to thrive, developmental delay, and multiple peculiar nodular growths, most notably a large protrusion from his forehead. Most striking was a lack of answers. Many pediatricians, pathologists and others attempted to solve this diagnostic puzzle without success. A CT scan was ordered. Upon seeing the CT scan, a brilliant pediatric radiologist remembered a similar case from years earlier. She knew to ask if the patient had shortened first digits of his lower extremities. He did. The trained eye of the radiologist, armed with the data from previous workups, and clinical experience allowed the diagnosis of the very rare fibro muscular dysplasia ossificans progressive to be made. This moment proved bittersweet. The pain of the unknown was now gone, but, the patient and family would have to live with an incurable condition. Fortunately, some treatments to prolong and improve quality of life are available.
While the work up was long and challenging, cooperation, modern technology, radiologic expertise and clinicians working together allowed Victor and his family to have many questions answered. Had he presented before such imaging technology was available, obtaining a diagnosis would have been even more difficult and the family might still be facing the unknown. This case illustrates how the power of diagnostic imaging has revolutionalized medicine.
I eagerly anticipate my chance to train and develop my skills, so that I may someday touch the lives of people like Victor. I am searching for a program that will allow me to thrive and fully develop my skills. I wish to be part of a program where I will be able to contribute by working hard with and for others. I hope to work with other residents with similar aspirations so that we may learn and benefit from each other. I’ve enjoyed the opportunity to participate in research in the past. I want to be part of a program where teaching and research are priorities. I am not a person who is bound by geography, or size of the community I would serve. For me, the professional relationships that I stand to develop and the opportunities to learn and contribute are the most important.
I firmly believe that I have the attributes to be a successful radiologist. I am intellectual and have an analytical mind, which allows me to enjoy the challenge of tackling complex problems. I am a methodical person who possesses strict attention to detail. I ask the right questions and enjoy interacting and collaborating with other medical professionals, to ensure a correct diagnosis is made. Furthermore, I am approachable, light hearted, yet dedicated, competent and driven. I believe these qualities will make me a better radiologist by being someone others will want to work with.
Radiology is an exciting, rapidly expanding field. While many advances in recent years have revolutionized diagnosis, emerging technologies promise to drive the field forward so that newer, more powerful techniques will become standard of care. I am excited at the prospect of being a part of these advances. I believe that your program is one with the attributes that can enable me to move forward to achieve my goals.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The better you got to understand about the disease more you would be able to write about good personal statement all the time, it can further makes you professional as well. personal statement radiography

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are actually been among such considerations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all goes through with some good ideas and with some exceptional statements this would be so easy for anyone who is been looking forward to such more experiences. musculoskeletal radiology fellowship

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear author, thank you so much for your useful information in this article, as I have found many interesting tips for me. Because when there is a task to write a radiology personal statement, it is not so easy to find some helpful tips which I have found here. And also I would like to add that in the second paragraph of your article you say about the sentences which begin from the word “that” and I also have met such ones earlier, but have never paid attention to them. So thank you very much for all your information once more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, everybody! Do you compose the radiation oncology personal statementand want to know what is the main principle of writing? All things considered, making an absolutely unique paper is difficult but it is also important to include. You can find a lot of data about writing which is valuable. A ton of words were already composed and it is hard to make something very original. But there exist some special rules for the statement composing. Do you want to know how to do it right? Then approach us in order to make a request or at least get some new information

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear author, I would like to agree with the previous comments and to say once more thank you for the really helpful article which you have written. And also I would like to add that the level of medical fellowship personal statements in the company plays really important role on the way to success of this company. And that is why a lot of additions information about this service is required for those who are working in this area. That is why so many people including me have found your article useful and helpful. And I hope to read more of them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. https://www.professionalsupplementcenter.com/?ranMID=45746&ranEAID=N%2FHAUJv1b4k&ranSiteID=N_HAUJv1b4k-BmbEYc1TVwSYVebyvIakYQ&LSNSUBSITE=LSNSUBSITE&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_campaign=sales-new-business&utm_term=Good+Personal+Statement&utm_source=linkshare

    ReplyDelete