Wednesday 1 December 2010

Neurology Personal Statement

The neurological sciences have intrigued and challenged me throughout medical school. My interest has evolved since the first time I saw a human brain in gross anatomy and reflected on the structure which had allowed my cadaver to move, to feel, to speak, to learn, and to decide. From that time on, I pursued the integration of my curiosity with a search to understand the anatomical pathways and the physiological deviations underlying the diverse pathology of the human nervous system and its profound effects on human faculty and function.
In the neuroscience coursework of the first and second years of medical school, in which I received honors, I applied myself diligently to gaining a foundation with which to localize neurological lesions and to formulate differential diagnoses. I selected electives pertaining to neurology whenever possible, including accompanying a neurosurgeon into the operating room; discussions of glutamate toxicity and potential treatments of acute brain injury; and an elective in the neurological intensive care unit.
During my third year, I participated in the neurosurgery rotation and developed insight into the operability of nervous system pathology. I earned honors in the surgery rotation through assiduous devotion to patient care and desire to understand treatment methodology in the surgical realm. The long awaited fourth year neurology rotation, in which I also received honors, offered me ample opportunity to review neuroanatomy and to expand my knowledge base of neurological disease, as well as an introduction to the intricacies of diagnosis and direct patient care.
I have always desired a lifelong career in a medical field of diagnostic and intellectual challenges, which I believe would be fulfilled in Neurology. The primary focus of my career goals is an active clinical practice. I desire training at a highly reputable academic facility with an accomplished faculty dedicated to education. In addition, I seek exposure to neurological research so that I may not only learn about existing knowledge, but that I may contribute to the advancement of diagnostic ability and treatment of neurologic disease. Following residency, I plan to pursue clinical fellowship training and I wish to leave my future options open to academic medicine, should I decide to pursue further research or to participate in the educational process of Neurology residency programs.
Neurology, as a career, encompasses many aspects which I perceive to contribute to the training of a dedicated and competent physician. The treatment of potentially incurable and debilitating disease requires the utmost in professional compassion and an ever-expanding knowledge of and respect for pathology of the human nervous system.

1 comment:

  1. Getting affirmation in a decent college is extremely troublesome nowadays. You need to study so hard furthermore deal with the route in which you introduce yourself. That is the reason we have made a unique group of experts who will be there to help you with all the statement of purpose psychology statement of purpose psychologyhelp that you could ever need.

    ReplyDelete