Wednesday 1 December 2010

Occupational Medicine Personal Statement

I intend to pursue a career in Occupational and Environmental Medicine, and believe that training in General Internal Medicine will provide me with a good start in developing the clinical skills necessary to fulfill this goal.
I seek a comprehensive program where I will have broad exposure to a multitude of adult illnesses prevalent in today's society. A major medical center with many inpatient admissions, a variety of outpatient clinics, advanced technology in intensive care units, and a broad and varied population base will provide the breadth of experiences that will be invaluable in my training as a physician. I look forward to extensive teaching by attending physicians where I can tap into the wisdom and knowledge of those who have dedicated themselves to the practice of the art of medicine. Furthermore, I seek a program that has some flexibility in allowing residents to pursue their own areas of special interests in clinical medicine.
Although all facets of medicine are fascinating, it is Occupational and Environmental Medicine which I find most interesting and challenging. It is one of a few fields of medicine that allows for almost limitless possibilities in pursuing a specialized interest after the completion of a residency training program. From primary care of patients in clinical occupational medicine, to community medicine and epidemiology, industrial toxicology, health care organization and administration, academic and research pursuits in preventive medicine, corporate occupational medicine and occupational medicine as it relates to the government and the law - the possibilities seem endless.
During a six week occupational medicine elective in my fourth year of medical school, I have been exposed to many facets of this field. I worked in a variety of clinics where occupational injuries (some traumatic) were first seen and evaluated. I have been in field site rotations at a major Chrysler assembly plant, Anheuser-Busch Brewery, McDonnell-Douglas Aerospace, two Monsanto chemical plants and at a Superfund clean-up site. Furthermore, I have had the privilege of working with an occupational toxicologist and a forensic toxicologist. I have learned the importance of ergonomic design of the workplace in order to prevent injuries, the importance of wearing appropriate personal protective equipment to protect against inhaled agents and other chemical toxins, industrial hygiene, work-up of post-exposure patients and the toxic effects of a variety of chemical agents. I have found these experiences very exciting and fascinating.
The field of Occupational Medicine that I find the most stimulating is environmental toxicology. This interest most likely stems from my undergraduate background in biochemistry. However, I also have a great interest in primary preventive medicine and I thoroughly enjoy the patient contact that is present in clinical occupational medicine. I have witnessed first-hand the doctor-patient interaction of a particular physician who, through his demeanor, positive reinforcement and genuine support has helped the employees of a chemical plant lose weight, start to exercise and quit smoking and drinking. He did this by taking the necessary time and by showing that he genuinely cared for the well-being of the employees. Upon witnessing this interaction on many occasions, I promised myself that this is the type of nurturing physician that I want to be.
I was raised in the USSR by my grandparents while both of my parents attended college. My grandmother, whom I consider to be the most benevolent and selfless individual, instilled in me a set of values characterized by honesty, humility, hard work and a sense of altruism. Later, when my family immigrated to the US in 1979, my parents were my role models as they tried their hardest to make a new life both for themselves and me in a new country. I saw that anything was possible to achieve with perseverance and a strong work ethic. When I was 18 years of age, and leaving home to go to college, both of my parents accepted a job for the US Dept. of Defense, in Germany. They have been there ever since. Therefore, during my undergraduate and medical school years I developed a strong sense of individualism and self-reliance. These qualities along with honesty and perseverance are my strongest traits. They have helped me thus far and will help me in my future endeavors as a physician.
I have been to Europe many times to visit my parents. I saw Berlin months after the Wall came down; I saw Prague right after the fall of Communism. Travel to foreign lands is a great passion of mine. I have been to countless West-European countries and have witnessed the multitudes of lifestyles and beliefs present there. I am a cosmopolitan individual, yet circumspect and conservative in nature. Another love of mine is the outdoors, with snow skiing and other winter sports being my favorite activities. I believe in protecting the natural resources and the endless natural beauty of this country. I hope to incorporate my interest in Occupational and Environmental Medicine with my love for the outdoors. This will lead to complete personal fulfillment for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment